Sunday 17 June 2012

Picture This: How Pictures Work by Molly Bang

By chance I discovered this great book in the library which discusses how pictures work and coincidentally it focuses on Little Red Riding Hood. I immediately booked it out and read it from cover to cover. It all made a lot of sense to me and after I had read it I went back and re-evaluated the images that I had been working on for my own Little Red Cap tale.  Having read it, I was able to look at how the shapes I was working with and how they were placed within my circle shape fit together to form a complete picture. Once again I felt something in my head 'click' in order to acheive a better illustration.





"We see shapes in context, and our reactions to them depend in large part on that context. If this were an illustration for a story about the ocean, we could variously read the red triangle as the sail of a sailboat, a shark's fin, a volcanic island rising from the sea, a "red nun" buoy, or the bow of a sinking ship. We feel very differently about the triangle if we see it as a sailboat than we do if we see it as a shark's fin." Molly Bang
Molly Bang chose to represent her Little Red Riding Hood character as this little red triangle. Her rationale for doing such was from the way she felt about the shape and it's colour. The shape and colour, obviously relates to her clothes but Molly placed characteristics on the little red triangle that she thought related to the characteristics that Little Red Riding Hood would also have. For example, the shape suggests an person who is alert, warm, strong, stable, balanced, vital, and perhaps some sense of danger.

No comments:

Post a Comment