Sunday 17 June 2012

Little Red Cap Stage One

Phew! What a productive few weeks I had! These are the first stage designs taking into account the circle and colour boundaries set by the brief. I'm really happy (and quite proud of myself) at this stage. Everything seems to be making more sense and my direction feels to be clearer than it was a few weeks ago. Using a layout pad instead of a sketchbook has made an incredible difference to how I work, I have loosened up and doodled rather than over thinking what I want to portray. It's a very freeing approach.

My first attempts at making the illustrations look printed by using digital techniques surprised me and I enjoyed doing them. It is a much faster way to achieve the effect than actually screen printing so would enable me to work to a tighter schedule if required. Especially at the designing stage.

This is a very different approach for me but I have been thoroughly enjoying the process and the results!! The illustrations clearly have a long way to go. I need to trust my instincts and stop drawing what I hope people will like and draw according to the story and my own personal style will come through. My strengths in art direction are developing. This is especially clear within the photos of Red in the woods.

Although when presenting the actual illustrations there were certain ideas I had had and dismissed that stood out more than the designs I intended on. Some of these require further exploration from this point onwards.

So...next brief boundaries are...

Circles - for heads and for character design...




Construction of image...



And finally, limited colour palette - red and white only - explore physical space.




No comments:

Post a Comment